Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R)
Course #’s 8503, 8504
Instructor: Tony Lann Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with your hands?
- Learn things visually?
- Have an interest in construction, heating, refrigeration?
- Like to problem solve?
- Want to see tangible results when you learn?
- Then this class might be for you!
2 YEAR Program beginning grade 11 and completing grade 12
Industry Certifications: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certification for refrigerant recovery as well as various ‘HVAC Excellence’ certifications
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) I (8503)
Credit: 4 Units Offered Grade 11
Class provides students with a solid foundation in basic knowledge and skills for entering the HVAC/R field. Instruction includes shop and trade safety, hand tool use, principles of thermodynamics, refrigeration cycle, compressors, piping and tubing instruction, soldering and brazing, mathematics for HVAC/R, electrical fundamentals and customer relation skills. Students will learn EPA laws and regulations pertaining to proper refrigeration handling. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) II (8504)
Credit: 2 Units Offered Grade 12 Prerequisites: Air Conditioning and Refrigeration I
Provides students with opportunities to further their knowledge and skills in the field of HVAC/R. Instruction includes troubleshooting electrical circuits, residential and commercial systems, heat pumps, and gas and oil furnaces. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA and SkillsUSA Virginia
- Students who complete two years of this course successfully are eligible to enter the HVAC/R Apprenticeship Training Program at level 2 towards journeyman licensure.
- HVAC/R technician, Commercial, Residential
- Building Maintenance
- Building Inspector
- Construction project manager