Instructor: Paul Hibbs Contact information: email@example.com
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with your hands?
- Learn things visually?
- Have an interest in construction, carpentry or finishing?
- Like to problem solve?
- Want to see tangible results when you learn?
- Then this class might be for you!
2 YEAR Program beginning grade 11 and completing grade 12
Students are expected to complete the OSHA curriculum on safety and earn the OSHA 10 hour card. Second year students also complete a credential from the International Code Council.
Credit: 4 Units Offered Grade 11
First year Carpentry students learn about a variety of building materials, shop and construction site safety, hand and power tools, construction math, building layouts, building plans, and a variety of framing techniques. Students complete OSHA 10 training and earn an OSHA 10-hour card. House construction is the main line of study with commercial building construction mixed in. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
Credit: 2 Units Offered Grade 12 Prerequisites: Carpentry I
Second year Carpentry students study, roofing, windows and doors framing and installation, wall finishing, insulation, flooring, and interior trim. Other forms of optional construction are also covered. Classroom work is supplemented with a variety of laboratory projects. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gea, boots and safety glasses and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA and SkillsUSA Virginia
- Cabinet Maker
- Drywall finisher
- Building inspector
- Building Maintenance
- Construction Project Manager