Early Childhood Education
Course #’s 8285, 8286
Instructor: Terri Evers Contact Information: email@example.com
DO YOU –
- Enjoy being creative?
- Have an interest in working with children?
- Enjoy working with people?
- Have a positive attitude?
- Want to apply what you learn in a workplace setting?
- Then this class might be for you!
2 YEAR Program beginning grade 11 and completing grade 12
Early Childhood Education 1 Credit: 4 Units Offered Grade 11
Students prepare to be primary providers of home, family, or institution-based child care services by focusing their study on the planning, organizing, and conducting of meaningful play and learning activities; child monitoring and supervision; record keeping, and referral procedures; and work-based learning experiences in labs, local daycare centers, elementary schools and other institutions under the supervision of the instructor. Students also prepare for continuing education leading to careers in early childhood fields (e.g. medical, social services and education). Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
Early Childhood Education II Credit: 4 units Offered Grade 12
Prerequisites: Early Childhood Education I
Building on the elements of childcare methodology covered in Part 1, students in the second year class focus skills needed by personnel employed in the early childhood-related careers, such as education, medical/healthcare, social services, counseling, psychology and entrepreneurship. Work-based learning experiences in on-site labs, early childhood development centers, elementary schools and other institutions under the supervision of the instructor are required. Completion of course sequence can prepare students for the Child Development Associate National Credential by the Council for Professional Recognition. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Family, Career and Community Leaders of American Student Organization with the option to also join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA and SkillsUSA Virginia
- Child Care Worker
- Child Care Facility Operator
- Teacher Aid