Culinary Arts 1 and 2
Instructor: Chef Lee DeMatteo Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to Culinary Video: http://www.teachertube.com/video/sctc-culinary-arts-441185
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with your hands and your head?
- Have an interest in the food industry?
- Enjoy working with people?
- Have a positive attitude?
- Want to see tangible results when you learn?
- Then this class might be for you.
2 YEAR Program beginning grade 11 and completing grade 12
- National Hospitality and Tourism Association PROSTART 1 and 2 Certification
- (ProStart Certification is recognized for postsecondary credit by various post-secondary culinary training institutions)
- ServSAFE Certified Manger Sanitary food handler
Culinary Arts I Credits: 4 Units Offered Grade 11
The Culinary Arts 1 curriculum provides students with the foundations for a comprehensive knowledge of the food service industry and with opportunities to build technical skills. Students learn and practice basic rules and procedures related to kitchen and food safety, kitchen sanitation procedures and emergency measures. Students explore the purchasing and receiving of goods and study fundamental nutritional principles and guidelines. As they explore food preparation techniques, students practice applying these techniques to the preparation and serving of basic food products. The curriculum places a strong emphasis on science and mathematics knowledge and skills. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
Culinary Arts II Credit: 4 Units Offered: Grade 12 Prerequisites: Culinary Arts I
The Culinary Arts II curriculum provides students with continuing opportunities to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the food service industry as well as to expand their technical skills. Students practices kitchen safety and sanitation, apply nutritional principles to food preparation and storage, perform a wide range of more advanced food preparation techniques, including garde manger and baking, refine their dining room serving skills, develop menus, perform on-site and off-site catered functions and strengthen their business and math skills. The curriculum continues to place a strong emphasis on science and mathematical knowledge and skills. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Family, Career and Community Leaders of American Student Organization with the option to also join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA
- Restaurant Owner
- Food sales
- Food Product development