Cosmetology 1 and 2
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with your hands?
- Learn things visually?
- Have an interest in hair and personal care?
- Enjoy working with people?
- Have a positive attitude?
- Want to see tangible results when you learn?
- Then this class might be for you.
Two year course begining in grade 11 and completing grade 12
Cosmetology State Board Licensing Exam. Successful passage of the exam allows students to begin working in the industry as a licensed cosmetologist
Offered 11 Grade
In this introductory course, students study hair, skin, and nails and their related care. Students are grounded in theory as they prepare to practice procedures in a clinical lab setting or classroom, using manikins for manipulative skill practice. The first-year course emphasizes personal safety, professionalism, and sanitation and disinfection of equipment and facilities. Students develop skills in shampooing and conditioning hair, as well as styling and cutting hair. They are introduced to chemical texture services and develop skills in manicure and pedicure procedures
Credit: 4 Units
Offered Grade 12
Prerequisites: Cosmetology I
In this continuing course, students build on their theoretical foundation of general sciences and practices in cosmetology to increase proficiency in hair cutting and styling on live models, with attention to professionalism, client consultation, safety, and infection control. Students are trained in safe chemical processes related to permanent waves, relaxers, lightening, and coloring hair. In addition, students learn to care for skin, hands, and feet, developing experience in providing facials, manicures, pedicures, and nail enhancements. Students will be introduced to a business management unit with a focus on managing the salon.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA and SkillsUSA Virginia
- Hair stylist
- Shop Owner
- Product sales person
- Shop Manager
- Regional Shop Manager
- Corporate Associate in Hair industry
- Nail Tech
- Platform Artist