Medical Assistant I and II
Instructor: Tammi Minter, RN
Contact Information: email@example.com
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with people?
- Intend to enter the Health Professions?
- Have solid grades in math?
- Hold a real interest in human biology?
- Then this class might be for you.
- National Health Career Association Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) Examination (MA 1 students)
- National Health Career Association Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) Examination (MA 2 students)
Two year program open to 11th and 12th graders
Medical Assistant I
Offered Grade 11
Students gain foundational knowledge in basic anatomy and physiology, medical ethics, medical asepsis, terminology, medical mathematics, and legal responsibilities. Students also develop basic skills and techniques to assist the healthcare provider and/or other medical professionals in patient examinations, basic emergency care, simple laboratory tests, and administrative duties. Additionally, students explore medical assisting career pathways through Health Occupations Student Association (HOSA) and potential on-the-job clinical instruction and/or observation in a healthcare facility
Medical Assistant II
Credit: 2 Units
Offered Grades 12
Prerequisite: Medical Assistant 1
Students apply and implement medical-assisting skills and techniques learned in Medical Assistant I. They also learn management of health records; cardiopulmonary resuscitation; care and use of equipment; collection and analysis of laboratory specimens; special diagnostic testing related to basic diseases and disorders, treatment, and medication; and job preparedness skills. Advanced on-the-job clinical experience in a healthcare facility is a part of the course. Successful completion of the program may lead to employment in a healthcare setting and an industry credential.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Health Occupations Student of America Association