Instructor: Robert Brown Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
DO YOU –
- Enjoy working with your hands?
- Learn things visually?
- Have an interest in construction, masonry, stonework?
- Like to problem solve?
- Want to see tangible results when you learn?
- Then this class might be for you!
2 YEAR Program beginning grade 11 and completing grade 12
Students are expected to complete the OSHA safety curriculum for a 10 hour OSHA safety card. Students in year 2 take a certification exam from the international code council.
Credit: 4 Units Offered Grade 11
Masonry 1students learn to identify, handle and maintain tools, machines, and a wide variety of materials used in the masonry field. The program provides both shop and classroom instruction to achieve shop and construction site safety training. Students will learn about OSHA regulations and be expected to pass the test and receive an OSHA 10 hour training card. With the application of construction mathematics, students will be able to decipher building plans, specifications, and building codes. Students are taught to work individually and as part of a team.
Credit: 2 Units Offered Grade 12 Prerequisites: Masonry I
In Masonry II, students are encouraged to diversify their construction knowledge. Students are provided an ICC (International Code Council) book and expected to pass an ICC Code Certification test approved by the VA Department of Education. Students may receive NCCER (National Center for Construction Education & Research Core Curriculum Certification by passing the exam. Workplace readiness skills of teamwork, communication, problem solving, positive work ethic and integrity are emphasized.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate safety gear, boots, safety glasses and uniforms in the lab
- Students are expected to join the Career and Technical Student organization SkillsUSA and SkillsUSA Virginia
- Brick Mason
- Construction Laborer
- Building inspector
- Building Maintenance
- Construction Project Manager
- Materials production