Bienvenue! - Willkommen! - Salvete! - ¡Bienvenidos!
Welcome to the World Languages (WL) Program of Spotsylvania County Public Schools!
Mission Statement - The World Language program of Spotsylvania County Public Schools is preparing students to connect with new cultures and communicate confidently with the world in the 21st century.
World Language Program Objectives - The primary objectives of the world languages program of Spotsylvania County Public Schools are to ensure that students can:
- Successfully communicate in languages other than English.
- Access authentic sources of the target (studied) language.
- Develop insight into the nature of their own language and culture.
- Engage with multicultural communities at home and around the world.
- Prepare to participate more fully in the global community and marketplace.
Language Programs Offered - To achieve our program objectives, levels (years) 1 through 5 are offered at all middle and high schools in the following languages:
- Spanish (Native & Heritage Speakers courses are available)
- Advanced Placement (AP) World Language courses are offered at all five high schools
- International Baccalaureate (IB) World Language courses are offered within the IB Program.
Language Course Requirements - Students must take at least three years of one language, or two years of two languages to satisfy requirements for high school graduation. Students are strongly encouraged to take more than the minimum years required in order to reach a functional level of language proficiency for the workplace or future university study.
After successful completion of the level III course, students will have earned the three language credits required for the advanced high school diploma. By earning four world language credits in a world language or two credits each in two world languages students will have fulfilled the language requirement for the Seal of Academic Excellence on their high school diploma.
For more information: Contact the division world language liaison, Mrs. Bettina Hoeninger, at email@example.com.