The Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) is a state funded program that provides preschool for four-year-old children that are income eligible. VPI promotes school readiness, health services, social services, nutrition, parental involvement, and transportation.
Spotsylvania County Public Schools VPI classes are located at four schools: Cedar Forest Elementary, Harrison Road Elementary, Livingston Elementary, Riverview Elementary, Salem Elementary and Wilderness Elementary. Each classroom serves eighteen students. Robert E. Lee also serves four additional VPI children combined with fourteen Head Start children. VPI Inclusion classes serve three children each at Berkeley Elementary, Chancellor Elementary, and John J. Wright Educational and Cultural Center.
- The school day is 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- School bus transportation is offered; however transportation is not guaranteed depending on location.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided; free or reduced rate is based on income.
- The staff includes a professional preschool team.
- The curriculum used is Creative Curriculum, which focuses on learning objectives inclusive all developmental domains and socialization skills within developmentally appropriate classrooms.
- Academic expectations include a focus on the Virginia Foundation Blocks for Early Learning, developing emergent reading, math, and communication skills.
- Additional intervention strategies are reviewed to help families address ways to support their child’s growth and development.
2019-2020 Head Start and Virginia Preschool Initiative Application - Spanish
Eligibility- Children must be four years old by September 30th of the year they begin.- Children must reside in Spotsylvania County.- Selection factors include family income and determined risk factors of child and family. - Parents must apply in person at the Head Start Administrative Office located at Early Childhood Services: 7409 Brock Road Spotsylvania, Virginia 22553 - Applications are accepted Monday - Thursday from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM.