Welcome to SCPS Head Start
Head Start is a federally funded program that provides preschool for four- year-old children who are income eligible. This comprehensive preschool program promotes school readiness, health, nutrition, and mental health services for children. Head Start provides family support in the areas of medical care, housing, financial literacy, nutrition, education, and positive parenting.
Spotsylvania County Public Schools Head Start classes are located at seven schools: Battlefield Elementary, Cedar Forest Elementary, Courtland Elementary, Harrison Road Elementary, Robert E. Lee Elementary, and Wilderness Elementary.
Head Start Program Information
- The school day is 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- School bus transportation is offered; however transportation is not guaranteed depending on location.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided free of charge.
- The staff includes a professional preschool team.
- The curriculum used is Creative Curriculum, which focuses on learning objectives inclusive all developmental domains and socialization skills within developmentally appropriate classrooms.
- Academic expectations include a focus on the Virginia Foundation Blocks for Early Learning, developing emergent reading, math, and communication skills.
- Additional intervention strategies are reviewed to help families address ways to support their child’s growth and development.
- Children must be four years old by September 30th of the year they begin.
- Children must reside in Spotsylvania County.
- Selection factors include family income and determined risk factors of child and family.
- Parents must apply in person at the Center for Family and Preschool Services: 7409 Brock Road Spotsylvania, Virginia 22553
- Applications are accepted Monday - Thursday from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM.