Welcome to SCPS Head Start
Head Start is a federally funded program that provides preschool for four- year-old children who are income eligible. This comprehensive preschool program promotes school readiness, health, nutrition, and mental health services for children. Head Start provides family support in the areas of medical care, housing, financial literacy, nutrition, education, and positive parenting.
Spotsylvania County Public Schools Head Start classes are located at seven schools: Battlefield Elementary, Cedar Forest Elementary, Courtland Elementary, Harrison Road Elementary, Robert E. Lee Elementary, and Wilderness Elementary.
NOW ACCEPTING 2021-2022 Applications for Preschool!
If your child will be 4 years old on or before September 30, 2021, please apply through the following options:NEW APPLICANTS (Never have applied for Spotsylvania County Preschools in any previous year):RETURNING APPLICANTS (Previously applied or a sibling was enrolled in Spotsylvania County Preschools any previous year):
Please submit a paper application and all supporting documents to email@example.com
To protect the health and safety of families, applications are also be accepted by email, fax, or U.S. Mail. Applications may also be placed in a drop box at the Center for Family and Preschool Services, 7409 Brock Road, Spotsylvania, 22553 Monday - Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Children must be 4 years old by September 30 of the enrollment year.
- Families must meet eligibilty guidelines to be considered for selection.
- Children must reside in Spotsylvania county.
- Selections begin in April and are continuous through August or until the program is full.
- Children selected will be contacted by a family service worker to complete enrollment. Please ensure phone numbers and email information are included on your application and up-to-date to ensure we may reach you.
- Children who are not selected for the program will be placed on a waiting list after the first day of school for vacancy considerations throughout the enrollment year.
- Questions or email application submissions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Start Program Information
- The school day is 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- School bus transportation is offered; however transportation is not guaranteed depending on location.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided free of charge.
- The staff includes a professional preschool team.
- The curriculum used is Creative Curriculum, which focuses on learning objectives inclusive all developmental domains and socialization skills within developmentally appropriate classrooms.
- Academic expectations include a focus on the Virginia Foundation Blocks for Early Learning, developing emergent reading, math, and communication skills.
- Additional intervention strategies are reviewed to help families address ways to support their child’s growth and development.
- Children must be four years old by September 30th of the year they begin.
- Children must reside in Spotsylvania County.
- Selection factors include family income and determined risk factors of child and family.
- Parents must apply in person at the Center for Family and Preschool Services: 7409 Brock Road Spotsylvania, Virginia 22553
- Applications are accepted Monday - Thursday from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM.