English For Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Information
ESOL Welcome CenterIf a language other than English is spoken in your home, or your child was born outside the United States, register your child for school at the ESOL Welcome Center. We provide school enrollment services for:
The ESOL Welcome Center is located at the Center for Family and Preschool Services, 7409 Brock Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553. The phone number is (540)582-7047.English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)The mission of Spotsylvania County Schools' English for Speakers of Other Languages program is to equip our students with the social and academic language skills that they need to be successful students and community members. The number of English Language Learners (ELLs) in our division has increased annually. We currently serve over 1,100 ESOL students, and these students represent over 40 language groups.The K-12 ESOL program provides services through several delivery models. Services are provided with the student's grade level and proficiency level in mind. Each school implements teaching strategies and service delivery approaches to meet the needs of their English Language Learners.
- Families who speak and/or understand another language in addition or instead of English
- Students transferring from a country outside of the U.S.
- Students who received English language services in a previous school
- The ESOL program provides ELLs the opportunity to attain English proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking while meeting the same challenging academic achievement that all students are expected to meet.
- ELL language development and content learning is measured by annual assessments. Language development is assessed by the World Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) English language proficiency assessment, the Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State (ACCESS) for English Language Learners.
- Content learning is measured by ELLs participation in the Virginia Standards of Learning tests.
Please contact Mrs. Kristine Lentz-Johnston, Assistant Director of Teaching & Learning, with questions.