Family Life Education
The Code of Virginia requires that all schools in the commonwealth develop curriculum for comprehensive family life education. The instruction shall be designed to promote parental involvement, foster positive self concepts and provide mechanisms for coping with peer pressure and the stresses of modern living according to the students’ developmental stages and abilities.
“Opt Out” Procedure - The regulations governing Family Life Programs, which were adopted by the Virginia State Board of Education, require that, an “Opt Out” procedure be established in which parents may elect for their children to be excused from all or part of the program. In Spotsylvania County Schools, a Parent/Community Involvement Team identified broad objectives for the program. Parents may opt their children out of any activities associated with these objectives. Copies of objectives for each grade level are available at each school, and parents are encouraged to discuss these with their child’s teacher at the elementary school or the health/PE teacher at the middle and high schools. If parents wish their children to be excused from all or part of the program, they may complete the opt out form obtained from the teacher or this website.
Opt Out Forms - Use the links below to download the apporpriate Family Life Education Opt Out form:
- Elementary School (grades 4 & 5) Family Life Opt Out form
- Elementary School (grades 4 & 5) Family Life Opt Out form (Spanish)
- Middle School Family Life Opt Out form
- Middle School Family Life Opt Out form (Spanish)
- High School (grade 9) Family Life Opt Out form
- High School (grade 9) Family Life Opt Out form (Spanish)
- High School (grade 10) Family Life Opt Out form
- High School (grade 10) Family Life Opt Out form (Spanish)
Family Life Standards of Learning - Use this link to view the VDOE Family Life Guidlines & Standards. Please visit the Virginia Department of Education’s website for more details regarding family life education or other standards of learning content.
Family Life Video Resources - Use the links below to view Family Life Video Resources: