Join us in welcoming your child to Lexia Reading Core5®, a dynamic, fun computer program that has helped millions of students develop reading skills through personalized learning. The activities and instruction in Core5 are aligned to rigorous English Language Arts standards, including the Common Core State Standards.
Our school is using Core5 as part of our curriculum in reading and language arts – and we want you to share in our excitement!
Here’s how this award-winning, computer-based reading program works:
- Students complete placement activities in Core5 to determine their appropriate, individualized starting level.
- Students work independently and at their own pace on activities in Core5 several days a week.
- Students develop fundamental literacy skills in six areas of reading instruction that have been identified by national reading experts: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
- Students receive scaffolding, corrective feedback, and direct instruction in Core5 when needed.
- Your student’s teacher will monitor his or her progress and performance in the online activities through data reports. These reports help teachers to determine if a student is struggling with a specific skill and requires targeted, teacher-led instruction.
- Students may also receive paper-and-pencil activities that provide offline practice to further improve and expand their skills. They may work on these activities in school, or they bring them home to complete as out-of-class work.
As an added benefit, students can use Core5 at home. Getting started is easy!
1. Launch a web browser and go to www.lexiacore5.com. or click on this link: http://www.lexiacore5.com/?
· Create a bookmark or favorite for this web address.
· You will see a link to download Adobe Flash Player if you do not have it.
Flash Player 11 or higher is required.
· If you have a slow Internet connection or if you cannot install Flash Player, you can install the Core5 software on your computer instead of using the website. Go to www.lexialearning.com and click Downloads at the top of the page.
· iPad and iPad Mini users can download the Core5 app from the App store. Search for “Lexia Reading Core5.” Lexia will not work on a web browser on the iPad or iPad Mini (app only).
· Android tablet users can download the Core5 app from the Google Play store. Search for “Lexia Reading Core5.” Note that the app is not available for Kindle.
2. The first time you access Core5, you must set up:
· Click the Student/Parent button.
· Type in your teacher’s email (below) and click the arrow button to continue.
3. Allow or help your child to login. The student username and password (below) is the same login they use at school.
Student Username: student ID #
Student Password: scps + new lunch #
Important! Please allow your child to work independently at his or her own pace. Provide encouragement, but don’t give away the answers!
4. Please try to ensure an average of 20-30 minutes per session. We recommend that usage be kept to a reasonable level – not too short and not too long.
Pre-K students may need shorter, more frequent usage (10-15 minutes daily).
Need more help getting started? Go to www.lexialearning.com and clickSupport.
We hope you enjoy participating in your child’s reading acquisition and success!