School Resource Officer Program
Spotsylvania County Public Schools and the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office have entered into a memorandum of understanding in order to provide law enforcement services to our schools. These services will be provided by a Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Deputy referred to as a School Resource Officer (SRO). Currently the Sheriff’s Office employs 11 SRO’s who are assigned to the middle and high schools. The SRO is under the direct supervision of the Sheriff or designee and coordinates and communicates with the principal of his or her assigned school. The duties of the SRO fall in the broad categories of prevention, investigation, communication, support, and enforcement.
The SRO will:
- be proactively engaged with the school in designing and implementing safety and security measures as well as identifying those youth at risk of developing delinquent activities.
- be available to assist with after school activities as needed.
- provide assistance to the administration in the investigation of law enforcement issues and will conduct investigations regarding violations of law occurring on school grounds.
- acts as a liaison between the schools and the Sheriff’s Office providing law enforcement expertise to staff, students, parents, and others involved in the school system.
- provide opportunities for staff, students, parents, and others to learn about the law enforcement system and the Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office.
- take legal action against students when necessary while ensuring the school administration is kept informed and abreast of these actions, in as far as confidentiality laws allow.
- coordinate with school administrators the use of police dogs for the purpose of randomly searching for contraband.